Lakewood Elementary Center for Medical Science & Wellness offers students the opportunity to investigate these medical science topics through a standards-driven integrated curriculum that spirals from Kindergarten through 5th grade.
- Anatomy & Physiology: Students will explore the structures and functions of the various systems that make up the human body.
- History of Medicine: Students will journey from past to present as they learn about the individuals and discoveries that have contributed to our current body of medical knowledge.
- Pathology: Students will explore how diseases are caused and treated as well as what can be done to prevent communicable and non-communicable disease.
- Health Occupations: Students will experience a wide variety of medical and health professions and the roles these professionals play in our community.
- Personal Health: Students will learn how to make informed decisions about their health by investigating topics such as nutrition, physical activity, safety and injury prevention, and tobacco, alcohol, and drug use prevention.
- Emotional Wellness: Students will practice teamwork, problem solving, conflict resolution, and respect for others throughout the curriculum as they explore Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs.
- Medical Tools, Technology and Terminology: Students will experience the tools, technology, and terminology unique to the medical field
- Environmental and Cultural Impact on Health: Students will explore topics including genetic disorders, global health concerns, and the importance of environmental stewardship to the health of our planet.
- Scientific Inquiry & Medical Research: Students will use the processes of medical and scientific inquiry to research and investigate real world medical and health issues.